Events, local festivals
- Vallée verte (Green Valley) Festival
- Couzes country musicals
- Danses et Musiques du Monde (Dancing and Music of the World) festival in Issoire
- Europavox in Clermont-Ferrand
- Clermont-Ferrand International Short Film Festival
- Retro Rockin’Festival at Mont-Dore
- Andros Trophy ice racing championship (Super Besse Circuit)
- Trail de l'Envol de la Perdrix (trail running) at Super Besse
- Mont-Dore hill climbing at Chambon-sur-Lac
Activity centres in the region throughout the summer:
- Le Mont-Dore
- La Bourboule
Two days of festivities in medieval costume, in the listed medieval village of Murol and its 12th-century castle. This historical and cultural festival will take you back to the time of wandering minstrels. Themed games and food centred on the local area and rural traditions.
- Medieval market and tavern.
- Medieval camp, presenting occupations, military strategy and daily life.
- Daily: mini-knights workshop, troop parade, medieval music and dance, and a pitched battle before the camp.
- Free activities in the village over the two days.
- Guided tours of Murol castle throughout the day (admission charge only).
Our Heritage sites & tourist activities
Visits to the feudal castle of Murol (Themed, Guided or Activity tours)
Guided tour of Château de La Batisse
- Saint-Nectaire jam maker
- La Ruche Auvergnate (bee hive)
- Clogs and Boots
- Les Fontaines Pétrifiantes (Petrifying Fountains)
- Farm visit to learn how Saint-Nectaire cheese is made
Murols School of Painters Museum (weekends only)
Notre-Dame-du-Mont-Cornadore church in Saint-Nectaire (a major Romanesque church in the Auvergne)
Medieval town of Besse-et-Saint-Anastaise (pedestrian streets and “Besse stone” houses)
Lac Pavin (a magnificent volcanic crater)
“La Toinette & Julien” living history museum in Murat-le-Quaire
The Roman baths at Mont-Dore
- Saint-Austremoine Abbey (a major Romanesque church in the Auvergne)
- The clock tower
Vulcania, the European volcano theme park
Le Puy de Dôme at 1465m, the highest altitude volcano in the Puys mountain chain (summit accessible on foot only)
Le Puy de Sancy at 1886m, the highest point in the Massif Central
Lots of châteaux and the most beautiful Romanesque churches (such as Notre-Dame-d'Orcival Basilic, Notre-Dame-du-Port in Clermont-Ferrand and the Saint-Saturnin church.)